Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Show Low Low Down



You got to look good to ride good, DUH.

I know, check me out, my thighs, my shorts, WOW!! I am obviously ready.
This is how we love to do the do.

Really it's the only thing my car does better than anybody elses (except for Christian's AWESOME truck).
Yes this event happened like three weeks ago, but it has taken me that long to get "over it".
It was hands down the hardest bike ride I have ever been on and from the stories I heard from the rest of the team, I think it was the hardest ride any of us have ever been on.

The event was Saturday the 3rd of October, The Tour of the White Mountain, an event put on by Epic rides. This is the same group that puts on the 24 Hour race that we are all such fans of. So coming into the event I figured that it would be similar to it, a fun flowy course, that was friendly to the masses. Well I was dead wrong!!!

I rode the 60 mile event with Nickle, Alex Stickland, and Zach. Nickle was the only one who had ever done the event and was nice not to tell us of the horror that awaited. The race was to be 60 miles long with mostly single track, however in the middle of the event Alex and I found ourselves lost with about 30 other riders resulting in us riding 70 miles. I am glad we did too because if not I would not have been on the bike for almost 7 hours. That's right it took me 6 hours 51 minutes to do 70 miles.
The 60 mile crew, still stupid as to what to come.

The course was littered with large lava rocks that never allowed you to rest. It was relentless in its punishment. After the race Daniela asked me if it was pretty, if there were any nice sections. I unfortunately had to tell her, "I don't know." Really I never had a chance to look up at the surroundings. Heck I was holding on the bars so tight that by the end of the ride I was having great difficulty opening my fingers enough to engage the brake lever.

As for the rest of the team. Max cried when he saw the finish line he was so happy to be done. He along with the rest of the team did the 35 mile ride. Logan bonked so hard he was delirious and did not recognize Daniela at the end of the race and she made him eat on the spot. Milo and Conner each took over 7 hours to do the course. And Ricardo had to #2 so bad he got 3rd place in the Junior category.

As that goes we finished the event well. Nickle got 5th place in the single speed division. Ricardo got 3rd in Juniors in the 35 mile event, Kramer 4th and Logan 5th.

I was just happy to make it out alive and I think Alex and Zach the same.

The rest of the weekend went super well also. Lizzy, Ashley, and Julia joined us on the trip and I was to take them riding the day after. Yeah right. No way we went it was too crazy out there.
Thanks Ladies for a great weekend and all the help.

I must say though that we love this style of event and wish more races were like this. We get out of town for a weekend. The kids usually get out of school on Friday which makes me seem super cool, and we then get to camp out. Really just a fun way to get enjoy our time together as a team. Torture Anyone, anyone?

I hope we get to do a lot more stuff like this and I want to thank Kathleen, Joe, Kandis, and Nelson for all their help in making this happen. Oh sorry you too Chad.

Thanks everyone and, yes I will say it, SEE YOU NEXT YEAR!!!

That's right for some reason at the end we were still all smiles and talking about next year.

1 comment:

Kathleen said...

Ignacio, that is a fabulous funny blog. Logan and I cracked up the whole read! Hysterical.