Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Hey Robbin, We did it!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's right even with out the German we conquered El Tour. I said the night before at the team dinner that this would be my greatest coaching achievement ever, and I have to say now that it is my proudest. This year we definetly took a group of beginning cyclists and turned them into a team that took on the biggest challenge in town and conquered it without ever a hint of a complaint. People train for years and years to do what this team did and most of the team in a time less than four months got themselves ready to ride the whole 109 mile El Tour route. There was also a 3 person team that challenged the 35 mile course with less than 2 months of training and all said at the end that they wanted more. My kind of riders. I was not out with the 35 mile team so I will have one of them post about the ride.

As for the 109 mile team we headed to the start late around 6:30 am. The event starts at 7am so we were at about position 5,000 starting the ride, folks show up for the start as early as 4am. This of course after fixing Logans chain in the morning and giving Hollywood a new tire for his front wheel. No time like the last minute to fix the teams bikes. Once the start gun went off it took about 20 minutes for us to get going and I never heard a word from any of the riders. For the majority 5 out of 7 this was there first ever event, race, and even some of them sporting "game". I know they were scared and probably totally overwhelmed but none of them let on and were totally cool. Once we finally got going I'm not quite sure anyone passed us for the first 30 or so miles. We were cruising along as a team, as we had always trained, and we were looking good. We got to the first river crossing without much fuss only Conner loosing a water bottle, but really no big deal. I actually picked one up for him that someone else dropped in the river bed. A few of us used "The Nature" for relief and we were off.

Zach stayed up front with me after the river crossing for about 20 miles up untill we took our first real stop around Fantasy Island where the great El Grupo support crew was waiting. Carol, Daneila, Kathlyn and more where waiting for us with warm home baked "Conner mama snacks" I mean fresh out of the oven warm. Like I can't even chew it because I am so amazed at how good they are. Out of the oven hot! I think we all used "The Nature" again, and then Daniela and Kathlyn helped fill out water bottles. I must say the ride up untill that point was quite uneventfull and actually kind of miserable. The road conditions stunk and we had quite a head wind. So after the stop when I told Zach he no longer had to be up front, he was pretty happy.

As we left our first stop we were all together and now with Max up front. Shortly after we finally turned north and the wind was out of our face. Max stayed up front with me all the way untill the river crossing, #2, with the only crazy event being Ricardo losing his chain at about 25 miles an hour coming down Houghton. We got it back on at speed and I think Ricardo stopped breathing for the whole episode. As there only about 2,000 people coming behind him flying down the road.

Through the river crossing we stayed together while Max and Pablo decided to use the bathrooms as "The Nature" could not suffice for their actions. We had to wait about 5 extra minutes for Max as he decided to bring the paper with him. At this point I still had not heard a single complaint from any rider. We were half way through and about an 1 1/2 hours ahead of time. We were cooking.

Daniela and Kathlyn found us again just out of the crossing and helped fill our bottles and pack us with food. They were awesome the whole day, and we could not have done the ride without them. Thank You ladies.

Leaving the river is usually the hardest part of the race, but again the kids never, not once, the whole day complained or said to slow down. They stayed right on my wheel with no hesitation. There were times where guys were hurting and we had to slow down and times when we dropped chains and we had to stop. But the team put together its best ride absolutely ever. Communitcation, was perfect. Team work, perfect. Support, perfect. I could not have imagined the race going so well. These guys went out and stunned me. It definelty makes me want to work harder to give them more opportunities. I have all the respect in the world for them.

The last stop came around mile 80, and Christian, made the best decision of the day at this point. Give the guys a five minute break. Up untill this point our stops had been fast. I was excited about our progress and I wanted to get the team the best possible. However we needed a break and Christian was right, the 5 minutes gave us the chance to catch our breath and finish strong. Thanks Coach. Also out at the last stop was Dave Bohm. The newest El Grupo coach. Thanks Dave for coming out and helping. We are excited to have you on the team.

Leaving the last stop I put Kramer up front as I new the main hill of the day was coming and who better to lead us over. The hill actually was nothing but most important it was our best group hill climb ever. Not a single gap opened. Nothing. I was impressed.

After the hill Max came back to the front and finished the ride for the team. The team really figured out how strong they were coming home on Silverbell. 10 miles from the finish they started to yell at me to look back and sure enough we were pulling about 100 people. These guys are special. But just like last year we finish with arms raised together, as a team. Last years team is called the dream team, but if we can keep this team toghether for a year for next years El Tour, watch out folks.

Finishing time 6 hours 46 minutes.
Complaints-- none
Finishers-- 7 riders, 3 coaches

Thank you to the whole team, parents, and cheering sections, for the ride of my life.

No comments: